Bio of Michael Kostiuk
Work Related Projects:
• President of Carlington Community Association from 2007 to 2010.
• Election Monitoring mission Ukraine 2010. Through the Canadian NGO, Canadem. Observed and reported on the second round Ukrainian presidential election. Area of observation was in the city of Mykolayiv, Ukraine in February of 2010.
• Election Monitoring mission Ukraine 2004. Seconded to the Organization for Security Cooperation Europe (OSCE) through Canadem. Observed and reported on the second round Ukrainian presidential election. Area of observation was in the city of Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine in December of 2004.
• Electoral Mapping. Creation, Editing and Updating of the Canadian Election Geo-Spatial Data base. Support duties for Special Voting Rules Division. Elections Canada. 2003 through 2005.
• Rideau River Shoreline Classification project: in cooperation with the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority and the Canada Centre for Sustainable Watersheds. Development of protocols and methodology for the shoreline classification of the Rideau River. On site survey (by boat) of shoreline of Rideau River from Kars, Ontario to Buritts Rapids, Ontario: July to September 2003.
• Map Design Project (1:50,000, 1:100,00, 1:250,000) for Natural Resources Canada. Creation and updating of National Topographic Maps. Map Design, Project Management. ISO documentation. From May 2001 to September 2002.
• GIS project in Eastport, Maine. Creation of GIS data and maps for coastal zone management. Training of staff on GS techniques. June to August 1999.
• Former Waste Disposal Site Inventory. Researched and mapped the location of former waste disposal sites in Goulbourn Township. 1998.
• Walking Security Index (WSI) Project for the Regional Municipality of Ottawa Carleton under the terms and conditions of RMOC Project No. 91233409(Walking Security Index). Research in the areas of pedestrian related articles in the various media publications as well as being a rapporteur for one of the conference workshops. Ottawa April 27, 1996.
• Internet Project in Ukraine in co-operation with the Canadian Society for International Health and the United Nations Internet Project for Ukraine. Project Management to establish computers and Internet connections as well as teaching medical staff how to use the Internet. January to March 1995.
• Ideal Village Housing Cooperative (Ideal Village Co-op). Participated in the organizing, planning, design and operation of the Ideal Housing Cooperative in Orleans (Ottawa), Ontario. 1981-3.
Volunteer Projects and Memberships:
• Sparks Street Heritage Streetcar Committee. www.ottawastreetcar.com
• Member of Canadian Aerospace Museum’s project that constructed a full-scale replica of the Avro Arrow in Toronto.
• Member of Vintage Wings of Gatineau, Quebec. www.vintagewings.ca
• Member of the City of Ottawa Emergency Radio Communications Group (EMRG).
• Member of Canadem, which is Canada’s civilian Reserve to promote democracy and national building around the world. www.canadem.ca
• Member of the Carlington Community Association.
• Member of the Ottawa Palaeontology Club (Fossils).
• Member of Transport Action (Formerly Transport 2000).
• Member of the Prince of Wales Drive Widening Public Consultation Group.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings:
• Kostiuk, M. (2002). Using Remote Sensing Data to Detect Sea Level Change. In Integrating Remote Sensing at the Global, Regional, and Local Scale Pecora 15/Land Satellite Information IV Conference. ISPRS Commission I Mid-term Symposium/FIEOS . November 10-15, 2002. Denver, Colorado.
• Kostiuk, M. (2001). The Use of Geographic Information for Coastal Zone Management. Cobscook Bay, Maine – A Case Study. In T. Chopin & P. G. Wells (Eds.), Opportunities and Challenges for Protecting, Restoring and Enhancing Habitats in the Bay of Fundy. Proceedings of the 4th Bay of Fundy Science Workshop, Saint John New Brunswick, September 19-21, 2000. Environment Canada, Atlantic Region Occasional report Number 17, Environment Canada. (pp.113-123). Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
• Barr, D., Cameron, N. & Kostiuk, M. (1996). Summary Comments on Observing Intermodal Traffic Conflicts. In B. Wellar (Ed.), Perspectives on Pedestrian Safety. Proceedings of the 1996 Ottawa-Carleton Pedestrian Safety Conference. (pp. 120-125). Ottawa.
Papers/Presentations at Conferences:
• Rideau River Shoreline Classification Methods. Poster presentation at Coastal Zone Canada 2004 Conference, Saint John’s Newfoundland June 27-30 2004.
• Using Remote Sensing Data to Detect Sea Level Change. Poster presentation for the ISPRS Commission and Symposium on Integrating Remote Sensing at the Global, Regional and Local Scale. November 10-15, 2002. Denver, Colorado.
• The Use of Geographic Information for Coastal Zone Management. Cobscook Bay, Maine – A Case Study. September 19, 2000 at the Coastal Zone Canada 2000 Conference, Saint John, New Brunswick.
• Presentation and Workshop on Recent Developments on the Use of the Internet in Post Soviet Ukraine. (1996). Washington Group Leadership Conference. Key Bridge Marriott, Arlington, Virginia.